Kydianta

Kydianta is one of the abandoned mountain villages of Chios and it is found on the south-west of Lagada.

After the destruction of Koila the inhabitants built Kydianta.

The inhabitants of the village, traditionally supporters of democracy, corresponded to the call of the 1821 Revolution. Then the village had 800-900 inhabitants and the school approximately 150 pupils. However it suffered much destruction by the Turks, who demolished the church of Agia Anastasia . In order to survive the slaughter (in 1822) the inhabitants abandoned the village and went to Kavos Melanios so as to get away with caiques. Many of them went to a cave near the church of Agios Giannis but the Ottomans found them and they massacred them. The cave is on the southwest of the church and the bones were placed in graves under the courtyard of Agios Giannis. The Turks caught the priest Konstanti Kounoupa during the Mass and tortured him.

In 1830 the inhabitants who had left, once again began returning to Kydianta. They built their homes and began to deal with agriculture and shipping.

But when in 1835 the plague struck Chios , Kydianta once again paid the price.

On March 22nd, during the 1881 earthquake, many people were killed and the village suffered much destruction. Rocks rolled and paths were destroyed. In 1890, only 150 families inhabited Kydianta.

Kydianta was a base of operations of the rebels during the German occupation and many inhabitants had left convictions.

It did not, however, bear the blow of the civil war; therefore its inhabitants began to abandon the village at a quick pace. One of the most famous families of the village is the Tratsides and in a clash with the gendarmes Stamatis Tratsis was killed.

The 1949 earthquake was the last blow-even the street cracked.

The village was finally abandoned and the biggest part of its inhabitants moved to Lagada. 1948 was the last year the school was open.

In order to reach Kydianta, you will cross the lodges of the settlement Agrelopos. You will follow a narrow cement road, about 2,5 km, where you can go by car.

The landscape is composed from devastated and demolished stone houses of three districts, few olive trees and the wild mountainsides of Aipos.

The inhabitants of Lagada set up a National Resistance monument and they honour it on February 24 th , day of the EPON foundation.

The churches of Agios Giannis and Agia Anastasia are preserved (there are fetes) and the locals still celebrate the mass symbolically, so as to show their need to (come) revive their village.

On Good Friday morning, inhabitants of the 70s chanted the Passions without a priest in the church of Agios Giannis . Since 2000, due to the power of television, it became known to the Greek nation , so every year more children of Kydianta go there and give the message that even once a year, the devastated villages of the Greek countryside can liven up.

 

"Kydianta" Assocciation - Lagada Chios 82100 - Tel: +30-22710-74916
This website informs of folklore and cultural events of the Cultural Society of Lagada “Kydianta” and are co-funded by the Cultural Society of Lagada “Kydianta” and European Union, Europian Agricultural Guidance and Guarantee Fund (EAGGF) Program “Rural Development (2000-2006) - Reinforcement of Local Events connected to the preservation of local cultural heritage of regions as well as local agricultural products”